Sunday, April 26, 2015

Final Thoughts EDUC - 7853


My overall experience in this course has been eye opening. I have learned so much about dealing with families from different cultures and how difficult it can be. The course textbook Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves, was not only a big help in this course but also has been the most applicable to my work as an early childhood professional. It has given me new insights into families from different cultures and how I can include these cultures in my classroom without it looking like a display just to please families. The book Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down touched me in a way no other book has. It was hard to read about the child being taken away from her parents because they were presumed to be unfit when it was a lack of understanding and communication between the hospital staff and the parents. This story reinforced the need to make sure that there is a staff member that speaks the parents that I serve home language and that all information that is given to families be in their home language so that they can understand it. I also learned from this book and other course readings that if parents or primary caregivers cannot read then we must find other ways of ensuring that they understand the materials that they are given. This could be having someone that speaks their home language explain to them verbally or have a visual drawing of instructions detailing each step that is to be taken. Yes these methods can take more time and cost more money but in the end it is worth it. This will also show families that they are valued and respected, which will help them to build trusting relationships with center staff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment